Mosaic Dragonfly

Thursday, April 7, 2016


Just playing today; this tag is for a couple of challenges...

I've drawn some inspiration from the April 2016 Tim's Tag and as usual, it doesn't look anything like his, but that's the point...it's about being inspired right?  Also, I'm all about Earth Day 365 days of the year. So when I saw the current Anything But Cute Earth Day Challenge, I used that as my theme for my tag.

2016TAG




Tim has used his new Distress Paper Mosaic Kit, which I don't have, so I used his directions from his March 2012 tag to create my mosaic dragonfly.  Instead of cutting up some designer paper, I dragged some watercolor paper through some Distress Inks and used that. Then it was topped with Glossy Accents for a faux tile look.

And, I used a totally different technique for my woodgrain background. It's made with a piece of woodgrain cardstock (like Tim's), but I used Distress Crayons and Distress Inks to create it.  Did I tell you I LOVE my Distress Crayons?  I rubbed several colors of the Distress Crayons into the cardstock, inked it with Distress Inks and splattered it with Black Soot Distress Paint.  I also drew some lines with a Distress Marker to imitate a wood floor or perhaps wood paneling.  Pretty happy with how it turned out :)

My "grout" was made with a matte embossing powder that I colored with some alcohol ink as I didn't have the "cement" embossing powder that Tim used.

Again, I've used a #10 manila tag simply because of the size of the dragonfly die and all the "stuff" I wanted to add.  The tail of the dragonfly is made with clear rhinestones, that I've colored with Copic markers.  Lots of shades of blue and green:


Here's what I used:
Paper:  watercolor and woodgrain cardstock
Ink:  Distress Inks
Stamps:  not a one
All the other stuff:  #10 manila tag, grunge board, Alterations Layered Dragonfly die, misc. rhinestones, Copic markers, Distress Crayons, Distress Paint, Distress Marker, Idea-ology Linen Ribbon, Idea-ology Souvenir Adornments, Remnant Rubs, Small Talk Stickers, Flashcards, Pocket Cards, WOW matte embossing powder, alcohol ink, Glossy Accents, splatter brush

Challenges entered:
Tim's Tags of 2016 - April
Anything But Cute #12 - Earth Day

Back soon with more my sweet friends...



15 comments

  1. Seriously beautiful tag. The mosaic dragonfly with all the shades of green and blue is wonderful. It shines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wood background is so cool. Great job! And I LOVE your mosiac dragonfly. They really do look like pieces of tile. Great job with the "grout"! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! this is a fantastic take on tim's March tag, Lee Anne! Your wood grain paper is fabulous, and clever idea to add the lines to make it look like paneling or flooring! Love it! And that "tile" mosaic dragonfly is just super cool--I would have never known it wasn't real tile! Fabulous take on our Earth Day challenge, too, with all the representations and your quotes!

    Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lee Anne, it's such a fantastic take on Tim's tag! I love the way how you treated that wood grain paper! It's an awesome idea and I really want to try this! Your tile mosaic dragonfly is perfect! I just adore your tag!
    Thank you so much for join8ng in our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute! Branka DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY WOWZERS!!! Oh boy Lee-Anne, you have just made me drool with this gorgeous earthy tag!! A mosaic dragonfly...LURVE IT!! Gorgeous colours, the neutrals make a wonderful background for your green mosaic design, and the bling on his tail is brilliant!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Earth Day' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mosaic dragonfly is gorgeous, Lee Anne, beautiful tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Lee-Anne, your gorgeous faux tile and rhinestone covered dragonfly shines and glows like a real dragonfly:-) I LOVED reading all your description. Your faux wood panel is amazing too. Loved all your embellishments, colors, textures....everything about your amazingly artistic tag my friend. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee-Anne this tag is gorgeous! I love your mosaic tile dragonfly! It looks so real,... so you did an awesome job. If you don't mind me asking, how do you use your distress crayons? I have used mine a couple of times but I am not achieving the look I want. I feel as if they aren't blending as well when I rub them, unless I am not applying enough pressure. Any tips would be great!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    ♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Thank you for your kind comments! I like to blend the Distress Crayons with my fingers. I dampen them slightly with a baby wipe before blending. Another option might be to spray a bit of water on your craft mat and just lightly dampen your fingers before blending. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  9. I love this dragonfly!! Gorgeous tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your dragonfly -- beautiful colors and textures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lee Ann, I love how your tag turned out. I love the wood grain. I'm going to have to chat with you some more to find out exactly how you did it. I love it. I just got my distress crayons and I'm trying to figure out how to use them. Your dragonfly is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to combine earth day with meaningful message!
    Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love the dragonfly!! Great tag!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. You've made my day!