Belated Happy Birthday, Darnell!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014


I've been wanting to get a card made for Darnell's birthday for a few days and finally found some time! Darnell, you are such a treasure...love your sense of humor and your art...so happy to be honoring you today!  Happy Birthday! You can find her blog right here.

A very simple CAS design. Yes, I know...shocking right?

It starts out with a stenciled background.  It's just been inked in a few selective spots with some Distress Ink.  Next, I added three shades of Distress Paint to my stamp and lightly misted with water.  Love how the Distress Paints react with water, really provides a lot of texture!  Then, once that was dry, I added a bit of Gold Mica Flake to each of the flowers with a palette knife.  A simple stamped sentiment and done!

Here's what I used:
Paper:  Bazzill Marshmallow and Distress Watercolor Cardstock
Ink:  Stormy Sky Distress Ink, Ranger Archival Jet Black
Stamps:  Rubbernecker Multicolor Poppies and Avery Elle Brushed
All the other stuff:  TCW Sketch Grid stencil, mini inking tool, Weather Wood Distress Paint, Spiced Marmalade Distress Paint, Peacock Feathers Distress Paint, Golden Acrylics Gold Mica Flake (small), water mister, palette knife

Challenges entered:
The Mixed Media Card Challenge

Splitcoast Stampers CAS280 - Karen Dunbrook featured stamper

17 comments

  1. Ooh, Lee-Anne - this is fabulous! I love how you've done the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much inky goodness! So much white space! = LURVE. Thanks for joining our first MMCC with this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee-Anne. Gorgeous! Darnell will LOVE this! Fab stenciled background ... love the softness of it. And your flowers are beautiful! Love the mix of colors and the beautiful shiny flakes for the centers. Oh my, Mica Flakes ... another thing to add to my wish list ... it's getting really long! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulously done! Love the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee-Anne, this is STELLAR! CAS at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card!! I love the back ground and those flowers are beautiful! Thanks so much for playing this week at MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how pretty! I love the flowers and shimmer on them. The soft faded BG looks amazing:) thank you for sharing with MMCC !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so stunning, Lee-Anne!! It's like a sculpture of melted and aged copper with flakes of gold mica!! An incredible design!! Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments in this dedicated post and for taking part in my surprise linky party over at Ardyth's!! It means the world to me!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card. Love the abstract feel of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous CAS MM card!!! thanks for playing along with us at the MMCC blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! I love the colours and the added gold - beautiful! I really think I MUST get some distress paints! I agree about Darnell ! Thanks for playing at the MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous card, Lee-Anne! Love the colours and media you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee-Ann, this is one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen. CAS, yet tons of interest and color. It's simply stunning. And you're so right about Darnell, she is a treasure. Thanks for linking up this gorgeous card, and helping us celebrate dear Miss D.'s birthday. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully done! Love this! Thanks for playing along with The Mixed Media Card Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful card!! I love those mica flakes on the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning card! The flowers look so good, and I love the contrast between the colorful flowers and the white background.
    Thanks for playing with us at MMCC. Hope to see you with us again in August!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how this card looks so artsy and CAS at the same time! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. You've made my day!