Mixed Media Watercolor Bloom



It's a dull, dreary, snowy day...but it has warmed up :)  As I look forward to spring, my thoughts run to beautiful warm sunny days and all the colorful flowers in our yard.

The background was made by sponging the leaves through a stencil.  What you see in the foreground is done later!  There's actually a layer behind that's very faint.  After it was sponged, then I sponged more of the color around the entire piece, leaving the right corner open.

Then the entire card was heat set.  The flower was stamped in Versamark and heat embossed with white embossing powder.  I used Inktense pencils and a water brush to color the flower...just three colors though.  Then, I added Wink of Stella marker in clear to the petals.

Next, I masked off the flower, added more of the background color and then added another layer of the leaf stencil, this time, with a lot more ink.  Taking another stencil, I added the smaller white splotches with a PITT Artist pen.  Then I dripped some water on the entire piece.  Heat set it again, stamped the sentiment and done!  I love that the sentiment from Tim Holtz doesn't stamp cleanly...it's been left imperfect to reinforce the thought!

Here's what I used:
Paper:  water color paper and Gina K. pure luxury
Ink:  Peacock Feathers Distress Ink, Versamark and Ranger Archival Jet Black
Stamps:  Savvy Stamps Large Flower Blossom, Tim Holtz Ways with Words
All the other stuff:  Inktense water color pencils in Fuchsia, Cadmium Orange and Teal Green; Niji water brush; Simon Says Stamp Leaves stencil; TCW Mini Tile Texture stencil; PITT Artist Big Brush Pen in white; Wink of Stella clear marker; heat gun, water, masking paper

Challenges entered:
Virginia's View Challenge:  watercolor

Back soon with more my friends...