Be Open

Thursday, May 9, 2013


It's time for the Ways to Use It challenge over at Splitcoast today.  To celebrate Self Discovery Month, Michelle has asked us to try something we haven't done before.  So in that spirit I tried recycling the plastic packaging from my new embossing folder.

My card starts out with a 4.25" x 5.5" card base in black.  Next I took a slightly smaller piece of kraft card stock and dry embossed it.  Then, I started smudging my Gelatos over various parts of the design...mostly using blues and browns.  Once that was done, I added some Antique Bronze Distress Paint in random fashion.  A black Big Brush pen was also used to create more depth and interest.

Then I cut open the packaging from my embossing folder, cut a piece slightly larger than needed and dry embossed it with the same pattern.

Discovered some little tags in my stash the other day, so decided to use one for the sentiment.  Painted it with the same Distress Paint, sponged a wee bit of Walnut Stain Distress Ink across it and then added smudges of the Big Brush pen again around the edges.  Stamped the sentiment in Jet Black Archival ink and added some of Tim's new remnant rubs (oh how I love those things!).

Next, I took three little Sprocket Gears and first painted them with Broken China Distress Paint, then once that was dry, added some of the Antique Bronze Distress Paint randomly.

To attach the clear plastic embossed piece to the matching paper piece, I used fasteners through the center of each of the gears as well as attaching my tag the same way.

Here's what I used:
Paper:  Gina K. Pure Luxury Black Onyx, SU! Crumb Cake
Ink:  Walnut Stain Distress Ink, Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink
Stamps:  Unity Stamps You Will Shine (Donna Downey)
All the other stuff:  Big Shot Pro, Tim Holtz Compass Texture Fades, Tim Holtz Sprocket Gears, Gelatos, Broken China Distress Paint, Antique Bronze Distress Paint, brads, Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs, Stampers Big Brush Pen, heat gun, craft mat, sponge, misc. mini shipping tag

What are you going to do for Self Discovery month?





7 comments

  1. This is amazing! And a great deal of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously done!! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is soooo creative! I love those gears and all the fab colors. You really know how to use some packaging and a folder. Super job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very artistic!! Need to get some of the distress paints and give it a try! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love all the textures here! I've picked your card to feature on Unity blog on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. had to pin this inspiring creation Lee-Anne! this is just amazing! Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. You've made my day!