Just Be

Friday, February 15, 2013


Ooooh it's the Mixed Media Challenge at Splitcoast today and Janelle has asked us to use text and three different mediums in red.  I LOVE THIS CHALLENGE!  Why? Because it's so different and stretches my creativity to the max.

I started out with a page ripped out of an old book.  Using Ranger Archival Ink, I stamped the Hero Arts image haphazardly all over the paper.  By this I mean, it didn't matter if it was a good impression or not...just wanted the outlines of the flowers to work with.

Then I painted the flowers, first with my red Gelato, mixed with water.  Next with my Poppy Red H20 and finally scribbled some Poppy Red Inktense and brushed it with my waterbrush to give a little different color and intensity.  Then I took my brush with full strength white gesso and painted it randomly on my page.  Next, using a white wash of thinned gesso, covered the entire page.  Then, using black gesso, sponged various parts of the page for more texture and interest.

Since the intensity of the reds had been toned down a little too much, I used a baby wipe on the flowers to up the color.  It ripped one of my petals slightly, but this is mixed media...I'm not looking for perfect here.

I stamped the sentiment from Verve in Ranger Archival ink in Jet Black and added a few black gems.  Then the upper and left edges of the page were cut out.  The card base is dry embossed and then the whole piece was glued onto it.  I scrunched the right side and bottom side with my finger just so there were no hard lines.

Mixed media may not be for everyone but I'm enjoying this immensely.  There is no right, there is no wrong...just have fun!

Here's what I used:
Paper:  Gina K. Pure Luxury card stock in black, page from an old book
Ink:  Ranger Jet Black Archival Ink
Stamps:  Hero Arts and Verve Words of Wisdom
All the other stuff:  Big Shot Pro, Tim Holtz Honeycomb embossing folder, white gesso, black gesso, red Gelato, Poppy Red H20, Poppy Red Inktense Pencil, waterbrushes, water, baby wipe, scissors, glue, sponge, misc. black gems.



3 comments

  1. This is stunning Lee-Anne!!! Absolutely LOVE it! Way to strech yourself and prove to you yourself you can dabble with the big boys when it comes to mixed media :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is stunning. You do mixed media so well and with the touch of a professional artist. You rocked this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooooooooo beautiful, Lee-Anne! Just makes me want to stop and breathe for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. You've made my day!