Creativity Takes Courage

Friday, February 1, 2013

There's a brand spanking new challenge over at Splitcoast that starts today!  It's the Mix-Ability Challenge...and it's all about creating with mixed media.  Want to join in?  Here's the link to the first challenge  by Splitcoast's UnderstandBlue otherwise known as Lydia.  She shares a fabulous video to demonstrate this technique!

And it's also the Queen for the Day Challenge where we are honoring Beate.  I chose this beautiful design of hers to CASE.

Today's challenge is all about the yin and the yang of matte versus shine.  I'm using an art journal to practice my techniques before actually making a card.

I started out with a piece of watercolor paper and painted it with black gesso.  And, not wanting to wait for it to dry, used my heat gun.  Next, I stamped the floral images and sentiment in SU! Whisper White.  It was heat embossed with some white pearl embossing powder.

Next, using a waterbrush and my Lyra Aquacolor Crayons, I colored all the different flowers.  Then, taking a fine detail brush, I added a shadow around each image.   A thin colored mat and then my card base that's been dry embossed with one of my favorite embossing folders.

This was a fun exercise and one I hope you'll try!

Here's what I used:
Paper:  watercolor paper, SU! Elegant Eggplant and Gina K. Pure Luxury in white
Ink:  SU! Whisper White Craft Ink
Stamps:  Hero Arts Flower Trio and MFT Clearly Sentiment About Art
All the other stuff:  Big Shot Pro, Couture Creations Tied Together, Liquitex Black Gesso, paint brushes, waterbrushes, misc. pearl white embossing powder, Lyra Aquacolor Crayons, heat gun

Hope you have a marvelous weekend everyone!

1 comment

  1. Beautiful pops of colour against the black background! Well done with the technique!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog. You've made my day!