Santa Collage

Another card for the Hope You Can Cling To Challenges over at Splitcoast.  Lynn's challenge is a decorative edged card.  My layout is loosely based on the Splitcoast sketch challenge for this week.

I decided to do a collage today...so this really stretched my creativity.  The picture is a little off, as the tag in the lower right corner is actually the same color as the red paper behind it...it looks slightly pink on my monitor...funny how that happens sometimes!

The card base is a standard 4.25" x 5.5" and I used a Tim Holtz die to cut the edge.  The entire card base is stamped with a background stamp and then the die cut edges were inked with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

Next comes a layer of black card stock that's been dry embossed with a Tim Holtz Alterations embossing folder.  Next is a layer of Co-ordinations Kraft-Core card stock.  The edges were distressed with a distressing tool and inked with more Walnut Stain Distress Ink.  Then I used a sanding block here and there so that the kraft color shows through.

The Santa image has been stamped on some kraft glassine and then I used a couple of Distress Markers to color his hat, suit, and the holly.  The edges have all been torn and inked also.  When using the kraft glassine, a permanent ink works best so the stamping and inking are all done in Ranger Archival Ink.  Glassine needs to be heat set, so I did that with my trusty heat gun!

The holly leaves are all made with the kraft glassine paper.  They were cut with the Tim Holtz Holly Branch die.  Then I crumpled them in my hand...a fair bit, and sprayed them with Lettuce Adirondack Color Wash.  I also used the same color wash on some white seam binding to make the little bows for the "JOY" tags.  The little bit of berry peeking out under the tag was colored with a Copic marker.

The tag peeking out from behind the "JOY" tags was cut with Tim Holtz Tattered Banners die.  It's a piece of the same card stock as the card base, but it's been colored with Distress Stains.  The Merry Christmas tag is also a die cut from Tim Holtz.  I added the little Santa Clause coin at the top of the card.  The red ribbon through the tag is more seam binding that I've wrinkled/distressed.

The little "JOY" tags are again from Tim Holtz (are you seeing a pattern here???) {grin}.

Here's what I used:
Paper:  SU! Soft Suede, SU! Basic Black, Co-ordinations Kraft-Core, Kraft Glassine
Ink:  Ranger Archival Jet Black and Walnut Stain Distress Ink
Stamps:  Impression Obsession Distressed Corduroy Cover-A-Card background stamp, Tim Holtz Odds and Ends and Letter to Santa
All the other stuff:  Big Shot Pro, Tim Holtz Alterations Distressed Frame embossing folder, Tim Holtz Alterations Movers and Shapers Mini Tickets Set, Tim Holtz Holly Branch die, Tim Holtz Ornate die, Tim Holtz Tattered Banners die, Tim Holtz Type Charms, Hug Snug red seam binding, Hug Snug white seam binding, water spritzer, Lettuce Ranger Adirondack Color Wash, craft sheet, distressing tool, Bundled Sage and Barn Door Distress Stain, heat gun, Ranger Glossy Accents, Jody boosters, Barn Door and Bundled Sage Distress Markers, R56 Copic

Whew...that was a long post today!  If you ever have any questions, feel free to e-mail me, or leave me a comment below.